Afnic, the registry for French domain names, recently announced some changes that will take place on December 6th, 2011. Afnic is currently responsible for .fr and all sub-extensions as well as .re and all sub-extensions.
• The registry is discontinuing sub-extensions. This means that new registrations will no longer be offered for .com.fr, .asso.fr, .tm.fr, and .com.re.
•Renewals, DNS modifications, and lapses will still be permitted for current holders of these domain names.
•Transfers and ownership changes will not be permitted until further notice. Additional information will be released shortly.
• Afnic will also launch the following extensions:
- .tf – French Southern and Antarctic Territories
- .wf – Wallis and Futuna
- .pm – St. Pierre and Miquelon
- .yt – Mayotte
These extensions will become generally available on December 6th and will have the same rules and requirements as all other French extensions.
• All French extensions were previously restricted to local companies or foreign companies holding local trademarks. All Afnic offered extensions, .fr, .re, .tf, .wf, .pm, and .yt will now be open to European registrants. For a list of eligible countries, click here (see page 26).
If you have any questions about these changes or are interested in the new extensions, please call your CSC Client Service Specialist or call CSC at 800.927.9800 (within North America), +44 (0)20 7565 4090 (Europe), or visit www.cscglobal.com.